“who will help me run my household after Nabeel?”

….the bodies of the seven workers were …burnt
beyond recognition. “We could only recognize three…”  ….the
doctors gave them three choices. “…bury the bodies near one another while waiting for
the DNA reports, as we were told all of them were Muslims, so it
shouldn’t matter who buried whom”

Not to worry, our elites have made it clear that we are all
collectively paying for the sins a few of us have committed.
We must bear the burden
with a few tears but mostly with a smile. 

While Pashtun nationalists attempt to transform Pakistan from an impure (as they see it) to a pure country (again) it will be the poor who will suffer the greatest indignities. The Karachi Airport Cargo employees who died were mostly middle and lower middle class bread-winners and their families will sink into mud in their absence. The poor monsoon which has already had an impact on inflation in India (and presumably Pakistan) will hurt even more. But we must remember – as per the dictates of God and fate – we shall collectively pay for the criminal acts committed by the few.

Finally, much as we hate to create a stacking order of victims but this must be said- while three of the seven bodies above could be identified, we do not know the identities of the 25 Shia pilgrims who were murdered in Taftan. Why is that? It seems as if it really does matter – unlike the sentiments expressed by the doctors of Jinnah hospital above- which muslim was buried by whom.
On Tuesday morning
charred remains of the seven cargo workers were retrieved from the
cold-room facility 26 hours after they took refuge there when the
airport came under attack. The families said that it was only after they
staged a protest near the Star Gate that the authorities finally
listened to their incessant pleas. Most of them stood there till late in
the night as huge flames engulfed the warehouse “leading up to the
cold-room facility in a corner”.

of two, Inayatullah had been heading the administrative sector of the
cargo area for six years. This is not the first tragedy for the family
as Inayat’s father died in a similar way inside a ship a few years ago.

Two blocks away from Inayat’s home, 26-year-old Nabeel Ahmed’s
family continued receiving relatives, friends and colleagues in their
two-room apartment in Saudabad, Malir.

Nabeel was the first one
to inform his family about an attack inside the airport. On Sunday, at
11:05pm, Nabeel’s sister Sana received a text message from him asking
her whether there was a report of an attack by militants on TV channels.
“We got worried because at the time not a single news channel had
reported anything,” his sister said. Fifteen minutes later the news
filtered in that the airport was in fact under attack by militants who
were trying to get close to the planes parked on the tarmac. 

“The last message that we received from him was that ‘I’m at a safe
place, don’t worry about me’. We had been in contact with him till
4:15am. After that his mobile phone went off,” added his sister.

inside the cold-room facility, Fareedullah Humayun was constantly in
touch with the head of the workers union, Yunus Khan.

Speaking by telephone, Yunus told Dawn that he was on leave and was trying to help those trapped inside.
told me that there were three terrorists inside the import operation
warehouse which houses the cold-room facility. The warehouse is roughly
400 metres long, full of raw material, chemicals, machinery and
medicines. There were 12 people from the cargo department inside the
warehouse at the time — four of them managed to escape, one is still
missing, and seven of them ran towards the cold-room storage,” he said.

Through the phone calls, Yunus continued giving directions to Fareedullah until one of the suicide bombers blew himself up.

terrorists, he said, were constantly firing into the air and at anyone
they thought posed a threat to them. “Fareedullah was also injured and
told me that he slipped while running away from them. Of the three
terrorists, one was shot by an ASF commando; another ran out, while the
third one with a suicide vest blew himself up at around 3am, because of
which the chemicals inside the warehouse caught fire. I lost touch with
Fareedullah soon after that.”

When Fareedullah didn’t receive
his phone till 4:30am, Yunus went towards the warehouse with a few men
to inquire what was happening. 

“There are two warehouses right next to each other. One is used for
import operations and the other for delivery. The import operation
warehouse caught fire. From there it engulfed the entire cold-room
facility near it in flames, from where it went towards the delivery

The CAA director general, retired Air Marshal
Mohammad Yusuf, however, said in a press statement that “the bodies were
recovered from the warehouse and not from the cold-room facility”. But
the family members of the victims refuted his statement calling it “a
face-saving measure by them”.

The families of the workers having
learnt of the fire tried to get inside the facility, but were stopped
by security personnel.

“We understood that they had a bigger
menace to deal with. But we were also pleading with the authorities to
at least get the Civil Aviation Authority to do something,” said Sana.

added that after an hour-long wait they managed to get inside. “There
were 10 fire tenders standing there, but as much as they tried to
extinguish the fire, it aggravated further.”

On Tuesday morning,
when the bodies of the seven workers were taken out, they were burnt
beyond recognition. “We could only recognise three — Saifur Rehman from
his height, Nabeel Ahmed from the chain he wore around his neck, and a
slightly burnt picture of Inayatullah in his upper pocket helped us
recognise him,” he added quietly.

Furthermore, when the bodies
were taken to the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre’s mortuary the
doctors there gave them three choices. “Wait for the DNA samples report,
which takes 21 days; bury the bodies near one another while waiting for
the DNA reports, as we were told all of them were Muslims, so it
shouldn’t matter who buried whom; to recognize the bodies — which is the
most arduous task in such circumstances,” said Yunus.

All the family members decided to bury the dead and are now waiting for the DNA reports.

much as I hate myself for saying this, but who will help me run my
household after Nabeel?” said his sister. “I’ll have to wait for the DNA
samples report. This is the only proof I have that my brother is dead.”


Link: http://www.dawn.com/news/1111875/the-last-message-we-received-from-him-was-im-at-a-safe-place-dont-worry-about-me


Brown Pundits